Garden visits in New Forest?

Anyone know of any gardens worth visiting in/around the New Forest? Im off there on holiday next summer.

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 863

I live near the New Forest and at the mo can think of Beaulieu, Exbury and also slightly further out ( but not far) is Montisfont Abbey which we often go to esp when their walled rose garden in in bloom ..........its really breathtaking!

Its in nearby Romsey.

Also near to the Forest but in Dorset is Kingston Lacey which is really fab too.

Hope this is of some help to you

Yes Jo they  truly are, and their scent bowls you over as soon as you enter the walled gardens. It does get a bit busy as the abbey is quite famous for its rose garden . It will be interesting to see how the grounds and gardens are next year as the head gardener retired a little while back and the new one is ( if I remember correctly) is quite young, so it must be a real challenge ( and a bit daunting!) to take on such a renowned estate. 

• There is Knoll garden  grasses, Woodgreen Wonderboy on here lets others see his garden in Woodgreen New Forest even though it would not be a year that he opens it to the public you would have to see if he would let you look around

Flowers in the rain nice pictures

Hampshire Gardener

Thanks Gardengirl. Notice that you are in Hampshire too, have you visited Montisfont Abbey?

• Thanks folks, I'll do some reading up on the suggestions so far.

• Flowers in the rain I am in Hampshire in Southampton - not visited Montisfont want to go sometime, want to go to Knoll garden too

Furzey gardens was on that tv show Instant gardener they went walking around

Went around Parham house and gardens in West Sussex that was really nice - good range of plants and a plant shop too - had to buy some plants

Hampshire Gardener

Oh wow you are only a couple of miles from me! Yes we are very lucky to have so many lovely places on our doorstep. Happy Christmas.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

The Hillier Gardens are very nice but pricey. 

Very true Leif, but if you time it right then just a drive down the road passed Hilliers when the azaleas are in bloom is quite breathtaking ( and cheaper than going in).image

But to be honest it is well worth a visitimage

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,958

You can do that and go into the GC in front and see the trees there, or go in for food area in Sir Harold Hillier's gardens and nose around the shop for free 

Went to Exbury garden a few years back went on the train ride and enjoyed all the colourful shrubs and got a beautiful Acer plant still doing well about 1/2 a metre high, even with a bit bashed off thanks to a fence panel a while back looks good

Here is someone's video on the train at Exbury https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cevItysznrU

Would like to go to Beaulieu garden as they have a great veg growing area I have seen in mags

Hampshire Gardener