Forum home Problem solving

Lawn getting destroyed - Possible Leatherjackets or Chafer beetles, Please help

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to ask for some advice. Large sections of my lawn are getting absolutely destroyed, it was green and healthy, but not is going brown and the grass is coming out in clumps. It's slowly spreading across the whole lawn. 

I've been doing some investigating and the most possible cause to me seems to be either leatherjacket or chafer beetle infestation but I'm not sure which. I've just been out and dug up some soil from an infested area, found a beetle and eggs, but it doesn't look anything like pictures of both types that are on google.

Is anyone able to give me some advice? I have taken pictures of the beetle and eggs, and the lawn. I'll try and add  them to this post:

Is anyone able to offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

Alex

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Your photo is of an earwig. Probably the rooks or starlings are digging up the lawn to find food. Best to leave them to it for the winter then work on improving the lawn in the Spring
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,320
    T The earwig won't damage your lawn.

Have you noticed any birds rootling about on your lawn?

My guess is that there's some leatherjacket grubs in your lawn eating the roots of the grass and that birds are pulling up the grass in order to get the leatherjackets.

leatherjackets

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Information taken from a local lawn care business. Seems there is no quick soluation! Hope this helps...

http://www.lawn-tech.co.uk/lawn-care-guide/chafer-grubs/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,320

Hazel, wash your hair, cover it with black plastic - if you've got leatherjackets they'll come to the surface image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,091

That's a cracker Verd - almost your best joke yet image

I thought of a good one after what's 'is name got the sack at Chelsea. Might put it on the Forker thread if I remember image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....