Forum home Talkback

Worms in Manure Bags

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,361

I have some 40 bags of manure and i will be spreading 30 bags in mid January and keeping the other 10 until next Autumn

? What affect will this have on the small red worms

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,994

They seem to survive just fine in hot compost heaps but I would keep the bags out of full sun over the summer, just in case.  Even if the worms die, they will just add to the nutrients in that bag anyway. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,361

Will do

Reason why I ask is that on radio 4 GQT they were chatting about worms coming to the top of the compost bin which the panel said was because they were "unhappy " due to the manure being too hot or wet or dry etc etc

I would not want to waste the worms as they will be working for me over the next few months

I suppose the sooner I release them the better and they can get to work

Im waiting for the "cold weather " to break down my plot so I can easily apply the manure

Separate question........Why have we got a post about Strictly Come dancing..Am i missing something BTG

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,994

There are quite a few 'chat' threads - it's such a friendly forum that I don't begrudge those at all but I can't keep up with them so only have an occasional 'lurk'!  Most of them are in 'the potting shed' forum topic which is exactly what that is for:

"The potting shed
    Venture into the potting shed for garden gossip, topical debate or idle chit-chat."

I'm good at being idle but soon run out of 'chit-chat'! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,361

Thanks Bob..........I understand now.

Peace to All at Crimbo

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,487
    BobTheGardener wrote (see)

There are quite a few 'chat' threads - it's such a friendly forum that I don't begrudge those at all but I can't keep up with them so only have an occasional 'lurk'!  Most of them are in 'the potting shed' forum topic which is exactly what that is for:

"The potting shed
    Venture into the potting shed for garden gossip, topical debate or idle chit-chat."

I'm good at being idle but soon run out of 'chit-chat'! image

That's fine Bob - someone has to make the tea image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh