Forum home Problem solving

Daffodils are sprouting too early!

Can anyone give me some insight in what to do when this happens? Do I leave them or cut them down? image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,873

Leave them. It is going cold this weekend, they will slow down then.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Ok I'll leave them thanks Fidgetbones
  • I always expect to see the daffs showing by Christmas, at least in the warmest spots, and I'm in the chilly (and wet and windy!)North. It's what keeps me going through Jan and Feb!

• Thanks everyone for your kind responses I guess I may get a couple of early blooms! (Hopefully) and I'm in the South East where it's still surprisingly mild? image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,873

Snowdrops are in flower at Kew, in the rock garden.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Really are they? Isn't it too early or is because of how mild it is image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,494

Yes, it's because the weather has been mild - they're hardy and they'll slow down when the weather cools.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,439

All part of the weird and wonderful world of nature and gardening Ryan!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I still have foxgloves flowering which is unusual, some roses, not so unusual but my jasmine is flowering and that is definitely wrong.  Going to take some plants up to the greenhouse this week. I have a feeling it might be about to get cold

went to look if snowdrops popping up but no sign yet

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne