Forum home Tools and techniques

Painting tanalised timber

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,359

Hello.

I have a new shed, made of tanalised timber. I intend to paint it but will leave the outside until next year and let it thoroughly dry out. However, I would really like to paint the inside white BEFORE I start to sort out shelves etc and fill it. I always paint the inside of sheds to brighten them up (and this is a particularly dark shed), but I wonder if just doing the inside now would have any drawbacks? I figured that using emulsion would be fairly breathable for the wood... 

Have got the painting stuff out and the painting clothes on and am now doubting myself. Really don't want to leave the shed empty for months.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• you can paint it now though the tantalising may seep thru the colour, I just repainted my fence anywhere where I could see the colour showing thru a couple of weeks later.

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,359

I don't need it to be perfect - it's just a background brightening,  if you see what I mean. So the odd bit of seepage isn't a problem. I was just worried in case it would be a disaster or nullify the tanalising or something! 

- Cicero
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,116

I did the same in my shed using white emulsion LG.  The staining does seep through but, like you say, not an issue in a shed! image  It's still standing 25 years later so clearly no problem regarding the effect on the tanalising!  I clad the walls of the shed out of cheap wickes feather edge fencing boards, so just goes to show how long those can last when protected by a roof. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,359

Excellent - thanks so much for your responses! I will paint with gusto.

However, while doubting I thought I would collect some more leaves from over the road, and then I thought I'd better water the existing sacks of fairly dry leaves with the 'recycled beer activator' OH had so kindly collected. And then the two extra sacks made me think I might combine the lot into a builder's bulk bag now I've got a shed to hide it behind... and now I've run out of time! Tomorrow, the shed image

- Cicero