New Lawn

Hello, I am new to GW and gardening itself. During the past 6 months I have been landscaping (if thats the right word) my rear garden.

4 weeks ago I laid a new lawn after preparing, topsoiling and fertilizing.

The lawn seems to have taken well, is a lush green and has now grown about 3 inches in height. The wet mild weather has helped with this.

My question is.... As it has grown, should I cut the new lawn before the frosts start?

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,662

Always tricky at this time of year John, if grass is growing away! . If the ground's ok to walk on - not too soggy- then give it a little cut. Don't take much off it though - the norm is a third of the height so that you encourage strong growth. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,288

Whereabouts are you John Thomas?  We've been promised some frost and possibly light snowfall over the next few days ...

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

The cold snap will only last a few days then temps will rise again. Cut it when they rise probably Monday or Tuesday.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Old gardener's trick (which I admit I've never tried, but like the sound of) is to fix a string at one corner of a rained-on or dewy lawn and then draw it tightly across the surface to knock off the drops without walking on it.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,662

Sounds good in theory Steve - what do you do if the lawn's circular?....image

I know - you put  the peg for the string in the middle! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• +1 for trimming 1" off the top but only after this weekend's cold snap has passed.