Forum home Fruit & veg

Winter Veg Planting

The raised vegetable bed I created last spring now looks bare and empty.

Is there anything I can plant in there - saw some mention of perennial spinach "popeye".

If I planted some seeds of this now is anything likely to grow before the spring. It's not been a cold Autumn here so far (South West Herts)

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,511

Quickly pop some Broad bean Aquadulce Claudia in now while the soil temperature is still unseasonably warm - they'll grow very slowly over the winter and give an early crop in the late spring, avoiding blackfly infestation.

Mine are just peeping through the soil surface now image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Not too late for garlic either, and overwintering onion sets (though they don't make good companions for beans) which will give you an earlier crop than the spring planting.  Maybe spring greens too, if you can buy some plants.

• Next year, why not consider a green manure crop? You might still get away with Field Beans this year, that can be sown now (November is the latest) and cut down when about 45cm tall. This stops them flowering and using all the stored nitrogen built up in the roots.  Earlier crops that I've used have been Phacelia and Fodder Radish.  Don't feel that you have to keep cropping a plot; always good to put a bit back before sowing in the Spring.