Forum home Talkback

gladioli

I planted some gladioli earlier this year but now realise they were not down deep enough and got blown about by the wind.  Also, they were not very good blooms.  I dug them up yesterday and have now laid them in trays in an unheated greenhouse.  Saw info on the internet about storing them in warm, as opposed to cold, conditions.  Before I saw that info I thought I could store them like dahlias but may not.  What do other members do?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I just put them in paper bags in the shed. They come back every year no special treatment.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,399

I don't think they need warm conditions. I don't even dig them up. When it's a hard winter I loose some though, but with an average sort of winter they come up again.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,695

Is it gladioli that only grow out of the new bulbs, not the ones they flowered on this year, like Crocosmia, or am I muddling them up with something else.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Many thanks, they are obviously hardier than the websites infer.  Many of them had a hard flat bulb at the base with new, quite large, bulbs growing from it.  I decided to remove the old bulbs (hope they weren't essential) and will now put the remaining bulbs in newspaper in the garage until the spring. 

Apologies for not returning to this site before but didn't receive notification that anyone had replied.

• I must admit I just leave them in the garden and they come back quite happily every year. 

I'm still finding them growing in my allotment from a previous holder......certainly 3 or more years ago when they were planted.  Some are flowering size but plenty of babies too. 

I think you are right Billie when you say they are probably a lot tougher than is often suggestedimage

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,213

I just leave them in the ground , perhaps next year image