Why can't I buy leaf mold from garden centers?

I've been pondering this for a while, why can't I buy leaf mold/mulch at garden centers? Personally, I'd pay good money to get a bulk order....

The only idea I can think of is the possible spread of tree tree diseases....   Does anybody know why?    Thanks

• steephillsteephill Posts: 875

Simple economics I think. It would be very expensive to collect the quantity required for a commercial operation. Add on the time it takes to rot down and you would have to price it like gold leaf to make money.

• A woodland garden in Norfolk used to sell small quantities of leaf mould.

I have often wondered what the councils do with the vast quantities of leaves that they collect each autumn. Many councils now compost household green waste so why not the leaves?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

They probably put them all in together.  On that kind of scale it gets really hot and all breaks down quickly.

•  

I suppose that does make sense, but what about leafs that pretty much have to be cleared up? Out local parks and really any open areas is often swamped with leafs, every autumn they rake them all up and remove them, I honestly can't imagine how much they collect. What about that? The council do it every year consistently. Selling the leafs in any state obviously won't cover every aspect of turning the humble leaf into golden dirt it could lighten the cost a little....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,918
    Tootsietim wrote (see)

A woodland garden in Norfolk used to sell small quantities of leaf mould.

I have often wondered what the councils do with the vast quantities of leaves that they collect each autumn. Many councils now compost household green waste so why not the leaves?

Around here, they do exactly what they should and make leaf mould which they use when planting up public planting areas.  I must admit to jealously eyeing-up their truck full of the stuff whenever I see them at work!  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

The heaps are enormous.  (I nearly got a job once as a technician on one of those council composting sites,  I would have had to have climbed halfway up each of the many 'winrows' several times to measure their temperature, first thing every morning).  There were many of them (I didn't see them all) 10m high and up to 100m long.  Once they cool below 60 deg.C the bulldozers come in and turn them over.

Knocks yer average garden heap into a cocked hat!

• Leaves! Leaf them where they lay! Such a shame that they are all composted! Leaf mold is not compost! Compost is bacteria dominated and leaf mold is fungal dominated! I know this is an old post but still pops up on Google, just hope I help someone differentiate between the two!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,854
    Tootsietim says:

I WISH THEY WOULD COLLECT IT. ROUND HERE THEY JUST LET IT LIE ON THE PAVEMENTS WHERE IT GETS WET AND SLIMY AND SLIPPERY. ONE DAY I AM GOING TO COME A CROPPER AND SUE THE COUNCIL.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • collected some to break down off the lawn but usually leave the rest on the borders for the worms, most plants push up through them with no bother but windy dry winter days will definately move them around as do the black birds looking for food. they all break down and you can see the fugus under neath them if you turn then overdoing its recycling job.

• I just want some leaf mould now! Does anyone know where I can obtain some? I put some on a wind flower last year and it is so happy. I collected leaves the year before and rotted them down in some old Belfast sinks. If only Monty Don would head a campaign to collect and rot down leaf mould as he's always going on about it.

If anyone would like to contact me about leaf mould please email me and put 'Leaf Mould' in the subject line. My email is [email protected]