Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog food and slug slime

I've recently started putting out hedgehog food in the form of dry hedgehog pellets but have noticed everytime i check a day or two later, that there is a load of snail/slug slime around the pot.

Does anyone know why this would be ?

Also I'm wondering, a cat has started appearing in the garden, would that be eating the food ? Something is, and it isn't tipping over the pot that the food is under, so can't be too big ?

I"m hopeful it is hedgehogs as its prime area for them, but its just a mystery why all the snail / slug slime near the hedgehog food....

Any ideas gratefully received.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,874

They eat any leftover bird food too, Peanuts. image

Those b***ers will eat anything image

If the food's under a pot and you say it's not dislodged, then I don't think it could be a cat. How big is the space to get access to the food? 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

It is perfect hedgehog size.  We did used to have foxes but they seem to have disappeared over the last year bizarrely, so assume not them as thought they would just tip up the pot.

The mystery is the snail slime or are you saying the snails / slugs eat bird food ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,896

The slugs here  often help clear up any crumbs the hedgehogs have left - I wonder whether the hedgehogs then come back and hoover up the slugs as they''re hoovering up their crumbs image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,547

mine never leave leftovers. 

I'm on the 3rd hog in an hour.

Devon.
  • put the food in a box so only hedgehog can get in and doesnt get rained on and less likely for slugs also

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-169.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&showPLA=true&gclid=CMWh0P286sgCFaoEwwodT90Hzw

I put my food inside one of these kinda things with the door blocked open. 

Keeps the neighbours' cats from getting it.

Devon.

nah, it's not a cat thread

Devon.

Peanuts - the slugs will eat bird food - I've watched them! image

image...in fact - double image  Tetley image