Forum home Talkback

Raking leaves

Is there anything more satisfying than raking leaves from lawns and paths? - and such good exercise!  I am currently feeling quite self-satisfied having spent almost an hour in such activity - although it's quite windy so the self-same exercise will have to take place again in the next day or two.  I notice that last year's leaf mould has broken down beautifully so I've moved it all over to one-third of the 'cage' that Himself made for me last year and will spread it as a mulch over one of my bigger borders.  Now I know how much it breaks down, I shall ensure I gather every leaf that falls this year and leave it to perform its magic for next winterimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Now I feel guilty for sucking them up with a ride on mowerimage

But it does break them down a bit to start the composting process

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Glad you've had a nice timeimage  I pray for dry leaves and a good wind to pile the leaves up in the cornerimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,315

But don't make it too tidy - the hedgehogs need leaf piles to hibernate in!

http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/seasonal-tips.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I've got the piles of leaves but no hedgehogs to hibernate in them Doveimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,315

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation Nut -  maybe one day a wandering Hefty will come across your leaf piles and make himself at home image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I hope so Dove, they were never plentiful here, not like in my previous garden, but I haven't seen any evidence for years now.

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

One of my fave autumninal (not sure if thats a real word or if its spelt right if it is!) jobs, love doing it and I agree Dove, I always leave a fair share to any wildlife friends to use as they wish. Last year I gathered loads up and it rotted down beautifully, most has already been used.

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 277

We have a 'heritage hedge', from whence cometh all those leaves I so love to rake, so behind our fence is a wonderful cornucopia of nesting hidey-holes for our tiggywinkles.  We have a 'hedgehog path' coming under the front fence, across the lawns and under that back fence - we usually find their 'landmines' image daily somewhere along the route so have learned to tread carefully there!

I am so envious lydiaann

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 29,940

I miss the two big trees I had in the garden round the corner from here. I loved gathering the maple leaves in particular - they were beautiful.

I'd love a garden with a woodland like yours nut. Maybe when I'm old and grey - or older and greyer  image - I'll move to a little place in the middle of nowhere and have my woodland and hedgehogs and birds. image

And some hills of course image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....