Goji Berries

I was given 2 Goji Berry plants this year that just grew and grew (they are both in tubs).  I kept one in the greenhouse and it is now growing out of the open vent at the top of the greenhouse!  I trimmed them earlier in the year thinking it might restrict the growth a bit and one carried on getting taller and the other grew lots of side shoots and is very sprawling.  I have been told they are quite hardy but am not sure what to do next with them now as I am hoping for some fruit next year.  Sadly I have no where to train them against so they will have to cope, but can anyone help with when I should prune them - and how - please.  Any other advice would be good too.  Thank you.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi don't know much about them so go to rhs org.uk image
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,984

Dipadee, they take a minimum of 2 years to fruit.  Mine are planted in the ground after spending the first year in pots and are now 3yo and only produced their first flowers this year, but rather late in the season so no fruit has set.  They do tend to grow long whippy shoots and you can cut those back by half in the summer according to the RHS - more here:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=581

All I'll say is they get one more year in my garden and if they don't pull their socks up they will be consigned to the compost heap!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Blackcurrants are more nutritionally valuable and easier all round.
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Evicted my goji berry for producing lots of whippy shoots and no flowers. I was going to put it on compost heap but then read they like harsh soil conditions so I shoved it in a small gap in the paving of the front drive next to the fence. This is its final chance.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Harsh! image