Plant identification

Hi, could anyone help to identify this plant growing in my daughters garden. It has flowered from August and is still flowering now in October. It is approx 2 ft high and wide. Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

A persicaria. Possibly P. campanulata

• Effy2Effy2 Posts: 3

Thanks for your response. I think this plant is herbaceous, it has slightly purple stems and has new shoots growing at soil level. It had died back last winter and all growth started in again in the spring. It has flowered all autumn.

No doubt about persicaria Effy but not so sure re the species. There are a  lotimage

I saw a weigela in flower today Joimage

• It is definitely Perscaria campanulata. It will flower until the frost and then turn to mush. It wil be back in the spring, frosts may set it back but not stop it. It is very pretty and I like it, but it will spread, especially in moist ground. However its roots are very near the surface and it is easy to pull out if need be. If you keep it in one place it is self-mulching. All the mushy leaves act as soil conditioners and the soil is lovely when you pull it up.

• Effy2Effy2 Posts: 3

I just want to say a huge thankyou for identifying this plant. I Had searched for weeks to identify it, but it had me baffled. Can't wait to grow it in my garden. thanks again.

Make sure you have the moist soil as Buttercupdays said. It's a miserable specimen in dry soil.