House plant unwell

I am posting this on behalf of my husband who has this plant at work. Its in a large pot by a window and gets watered on a regular basis. The ends of the leaves are turning yellow and he is at a loss what maybe causing it.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,800

Perhaps it is getting too much water. A lot of houseplants only need watering when the soil starts feeling dry.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,227

I agree.  Yellowing at the tips of the leaves is often a sign of overwatering in houseplants.

Give your husband full marks for even noticing - so often plants in offices are ignored until they're dead!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,550

Is it huge or the angle of the photo, if it's really that big it would need a lot of feeding and regularly repotting into fresh compost.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• You could easily cut him down........re pot him and start again. 

Office plants are so often subject to a very dry atmosphere..........rather than watering the plant so often, misting or spraying the foliage is often a better idea.  Not always the easiest thing tho.......spraying colleagues and computers as well as the plant could be a bit "iffy".

I can't really tell from your photo whether the leaves are yellow as such or brown but the majority of the foliage looks dry to me.  It also looks as if it has reached it's maximum height for the light it is receiving.

Your husband sounds as if he is on the ball..........give him the task of rejuvenating it........plenty of material there to fill several other offices I thinkimage