Discouraging Wasps

I had quite a lot of wasps in my garden during the summer and I'm wondering if there is a way I can discourage them from coming in such large numbers next year, without putting out traps (I don't want to kill them!)

I had a search and I'm not doing anything silly, like leaving out food or sugary drinks.

i'm wondering if there are any plants that would discourage wasps, or encourage other insects that they don't get on with?!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,227

Wasps and hornets don't get on with each other ... but you probably don't want to encourage hornets either (although I think they're both fantastic).

The wasps are probably in your garden eating aphids - I think I'd just put up with them and be thankful that you don't need to use chemical sprays to get rid of the aphids image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,264

It was a "bad" year for wasps. (I suppose the wasps thought it was a brilliant year.)

We couldn't have a meal outside without a few of them turning up to share our food with us. Very annoying. 

But as Dove says, they do a lot of good in the garden.

We just ate indoors.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Jo, I don't think you get as many high up where it's chilly! I have only seen a couple this year, they started a nest in an overturned bucket, but that was soon abandoned though I left it well alone just in case! We never have many and they are never a nuisance. Maybe they find so much to eat here that they have never developed a taste for sweet things (other than aphids of course)!

• Just as well, as I rely on them for pollination, hardly ever seen a honey bee here. Lots of different bumblies though, red and white and buff tailed in several different sizes! Love the little tiny buff tailed ones, the size of my little fingernail.

• jeffdjeffd Posts: 61

What about a waspinator as a repellent.

A bag that looks not much like a wasps' nest is hung up? It costs almost a tenner? The wasps see it and hurry off to their mummies?

It comes from the States. That says it all.imageimage

I was stung on the hand by a queen wasp earlier this week, and I still welcome them into the garden image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

They need a new name. How about Greenflygobbler or Aphidalarm or Bugbandit or Caterpillarcatcher?image

jo47 wrote (see)

I really think wasps need a new PR assistant image

pansyface wrote (see)

They need a new name. How about Greenflygobbler or Aphidalarm or Bugbandit or Caterpillarcatcher?image

Pansyface has the job image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,800

My wasps and hornets seem to get on OK together. They shared all my apples and plums before I got any image We had loads of wasps in Dordogne this year and when we went to East Anglia there were quite a lot there too. I didn't feel very fond of them, especially when granddaughter and a friend got stung. I can't grow melons any more, too dangerous.

Dordogne and Norfolk