Autumn Herb Garden

Hi all,

Massive thanks to everyone who gave advice to get my herb garden off to a flying start! I have been enjoying some delicious meals.

Quick question about Tarragon. I have French Tarragon that has grown fairly well. I'm not sure how to best overwinter it though. Should I cut it back now? If so how far? Worth feeding it at all now or wait until Spring?

Any advice much appreciated

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,613

It's borderline hardy in the UK and benefits from a bit of protection.  I cut mine back to about 8" in late autumn and place a large plastic flowerpot over the crown - just to keep the worst of the weather off it whilst allowing ventilation through the holes in the pot.  That seems to suit it in this garden.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Thanks Dove,

Got a gorgeous smelling Chicken and tarragon dish on the cook - If I'm lucky I'll get a couple more before cutting back - Anyone have good advice on storing the rest overwinter? Does it freeze OK or should I try and dry it?

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

PS loads of pennies in my pocket this year and not in Tesco's - even harvested a bunch of coriander seeds to cut down on costs further next year! Thank you everyone for your advice image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,613

I can smell that chicken from here image

I'm a very seasonal cook and haven't preserved tarragon in the past - I just really look forward to it appearing in the spring for lemon and tarragon roast chicken or a fantastic tarragon flavoured new potato salad, but ............... I might just try freezing some this year

http://www.preservingyourharvest.com/Tarragon.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,453

Mmmmmmmm tarragon!

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,453

Oh I can't wait to grow some herbs.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero