Optimum / must-have things in a Polytunnel

Just erected the frame for an 18' x 48' polytunnel.

We have some intentions, but no hard and fast plans. What would be top of your list?

I DO want to plant a grape vine, but that would prefer its roots outside, and I'm loathe to lift the polythene around the main stem, so do I just plant it inside?

We've got 12" to 18" of heavyish good topsoil over solid clay.

• I'd definitely plant the grape vine outside tho I do see your point about getting the top growth inside.  Have only done that with a glasshouse so easy to remove a pane.

Do you like Kiwi fruit........whilst often hardy in the UK, they usually need the extra heat to get a crop.

Sweet potatoes ?  Take up a lot of room tho.

Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Aubergines.  Winter salads.

You don't say where you are in the UK so that can make a difference.

Bananas, Tomatillos......the world is ( almost ) your oysterimage

The real key is what you like to eat and what is expensive to buy as far as veg. fruit is concerned.  If you want ornamentals as well, the extra protection from a Poly can prove a real benefit.

If you have an electric supply, make a hot bed...........seed raising, cuttings, etc.  Better than a stand alone propagator IMO.

Have funimage

• We're on the Suffolk / Cambridgeshire borders, about 250' above sea level.

Would you really lift / puncture the polythene? I suppose I could tape up around it, but is that really necessary on a moisture-retentive soil? If the vine was against the skin, half its roots would be outside, anyway, and surely they'd just grow towards the moisture. Also, aren't most vineyards on dry chalky stuff? 

No electricity to polytunnel. Like the idea of Bananas.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999

the must have item in my polytunnel ( 21 x 48) is my iPod docking station.

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,914

Hosta, if you listed what was in yours we'd be here till tomorrow reading it image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

tee hee

Devon.

the "must have" thing in my hot tunnel right now is fly papers. Cluster flies have moved in big time.

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,914

Just sent you email, Hosta

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.