Anyone ever made needle mould?

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,470

I've read that it can be useful but takes much longef to  break down. There are fallen needles a few inches thick under a row of leylandii at he end of my garden, I was wondering if it was worth gathering them to make leaf mould (am assuming the process will have started) or should I put them kin the green bin / straight in the compost heap?

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273

We get a lot of cupressus "needles" falling under the trees. We just put them on the compost heap. They seem to disappear.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Someone once told me they take longer to break down.......but in the greater scheme of things, how long is long ?

I'd certainly make use of them rather than giving them to the local councilimage

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,470

I think I read that they take about double the time, ie 2 years. 

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,997

we have a big pine in our garden and I too add them to the compost bin.

Devon.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 840

The tree in my garden produces vast quantities of needles about 9 inches long and double (like hairpins) which get hooked onto everything. I used to put them in the compost but they take forever to rot down so now they mostly go in the council bin.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,026

Sounds like you have a Corsican (aka Black) pine, SG.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

I have needle mould but only by way of neglect. I cleared a bank of brambles last year and there's about five years worth of needle drop. All but the top wee bit have rotted away and I just mix them in when I'm planting. The soil underneath seems quite good. I did read somewhere that they can be acidic so check that as well in case it's relevant LG.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 840

Not sure, BobThe Gardener, it has huge pine cones as well - about 10 cm long or more. Also my husband has just corrected my initial information - the pine needles have 3 spines to a bundle rather than 2. I'm wondering whether it's Pinus Ponderosa. (BTW my profile picture is also of the tree)

• I have. It takes ages to happen even after putting the collection bin in the greenhouse. I keep it separate