Forum home Tools and techniques

Creating Leaf Mold

My mother moved into a bungalow end of last year, its a bungalow with a shared grassed area and it has 4-5 old trees that is dropping plenty of leaves. Well the floor is covered and i've been thinking of taking a load home to make leaf mold compost. I haven't got a heap or bin for this but i've seen that plastic bags can be used. I am going to go the bag way but i have in my shed en old 1 ton sack that i had bark delivered in. Could i use this and leave it behind my shed with the leaves in.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I think I'd still use the plastic bag method. and put the bags in the one ton sack.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Yes you can use the large bag, but you will be surprised how little leaf mould a large bag of leaves will make. Make sure the leaves get wet whether in punctured plastic bags or in a large bag, or they will never rot down.

A circular enclosure made from chicken wire and fence posts also works well.
  • Agree with Welsh.  You'll be surprised at how quickly the leaves shrink in volume.  We collected about 5 bin bags of leaves last autumn, completely packed em with leaves.  This has created enough leaf mold to half fill a kitchen sink, but it's delightful stuff.  I had never tried it before, and always saw Monty going on about it, so nice to know it works.  Time to start collecting for next year, and this we'll double what we collect.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,748

I use the 1 tons sacks and just keep topping them up as more leaves fall. I think I filled 11 or 12 last year.

I don't cover them, water them or anything , if it rains they get it, and trust me in Devon , it always rains

Devon.
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 475

That's what i was thinking Hostafan, with a ton sack i could just keep topping up as the leaves fall.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,748

it's  only the middle of October. Oak can hang on until mid December some years

Devon.