Forum home Plants

As you know I love exotic/ foreign plants!

can someone give me suggestions on what to try? Thanks image

• all suggestions are appreciated image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,716

The most exotic I have is a Bird of Paradise, and have sown some seeds of the Pitcher plant.

As the title suggests, exotic usual means plants from warmer climates, do you have those conditions, unfortunately I don't! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Me too I have a bird of paradise as well as a curry plant and a date palm tre image

• Tree

• Really I'm just looking out for a new challenge image

I did buy a fig tree but it refuses to grow outside, don't know if I can accommodate it in a few years time!!

• do you know the type? I've heard ficus 'brown turkey' is a good type to try in the UK image

That's mine, but when I put it out in the Spring, the leaves died off as a new one grew, so the bottom ones dropped off, I brought it in the conservatory and its growing lovely, even has three baby figs on it now.

• That's great to hear! I would guess this year if not next year you should get your own full sized figs! I remember I went to the south of France and I saw a massive tree covered in them! I tried one and it was great! image
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,707

Ryan, have a look at this website.

http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/index.html

A really good , informative and very witty site. He's not selling anything but I'm sure you'll love it.

Devon.