Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moving a rose bush

I've got a climbing rose in the garden that I'd like to relocate (as the wall it was climbing up has been knocked down!). Is it likely to survive a move, and if so when and how is best to go about it?! Thanks!

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

I would move it now no problem at all, nice big hole, nice bit of compost and I'm sure it will be very happy

• It possibly would be ok - I'm always moving stuffed around but between end Oct to Feb/March is the dormant period so if it has sentimental value I would leave it til then to be sure. You could give it a prune before you move it reducing some branches by a third to an outward facing bud and tidy it up by removing crossinimageg/dead branches. Put lots of organic matter in the planting hole and try not to damage the roots when you dig/lift it out.

• mushermusher Posts: 389
    I'd leave it until October, any old branches cut them back right back to the ground. cut the other younger branches back to a point where you think they won't cause the plant to rock in its new plot.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I agree with gardeninglily1& musher leave it till Octoberimage
  • moved mine in june but it was struggling a little flippen ants wouldn't leave it alone...I did think I had nothing too loose if I left it were it was it would of died dug a big hole chucked chicken compost in and stuck it in new home watered it every day and its never looked better deep red roses climbing happily up my fence image

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

I agree with waiting until at least October and would cut it hard back.  It's a climber you say so depending on which one it could be very tall.  I would give it a serious chop to no more than a metre tall.  When you dig it up, try to keep as much root as you can.  You don't say how old it is; roses like to spread their roots and the older it is the more the roots will have spread.  If it is an old plant and you don't cut it hard back there may be too much top growth for the roots to support. 

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'd leave it until the leaves have fallen before moving it.

Devon.