Forum home Plants

acidanthera

Hello all. I planted 12 acidanthera in the spring, all have grown, all have wonderful foliage.  However, only two have produced flower spikes, one of which was snapped off by my toddler. Is it likely that I will see some flowers this year? Should I leave the bulbs in the ground this winter or dig them up? I was very much looking forward to these flowers, so any advice would be welcome.

• mollismollis Posts: 150

I bought these last year, planted into pots and kept in the greenhouse over winter .. Nothing showed until about May. I sunk some pots into the border, kept some just in pots, They have been fantastic, a super plant that flowers for ages and fragrant too. My plan is to lift the pots in the ground (I have given then a foliar feed) Dry and keep frost free over the winter.  I would lift them, pot them up and keep somewhere sheltered for the winter. My Grandson knocked off all of the flowering shoots on one pot, as well.  Kids eh! Don't we just love 'em . image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289

Hi Rosa - they are late flowering but weather or soil conditions may have hindered them. They like well drained soil and some warmth.

As mollis says, they're not hardy so you'll need to give them protection over winter. When the foliage has died back, lift them. Next year will be better image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,208

They can be late in a cool summer and do require full sun. 

I grow mine in pots and move them to shelter over the winter so they don't get frosted.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you!  Putting them in pots and sinking them into the border sounds good for next year - what size pots do you use mollis? Fairygirl, I think that the soil may have been slightly heavy for them and as for warmth... well, we haven't had much of it in South Wales this summer.  I might have to buy a few more for pots next year, on the very sunny front porch I think. Just to compare their progress with the ones in the border you understand... image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289

I had some last year Rosa. They flowered well but we had a very rare,  dry sunny summer! I'd probably treat them as an annual here, mainly because I don't have room (or the inclination)  to overwinter lots of less than hardy plants.

They'd rot if left in the ground - which is what last year's did!    imageimage

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,234

Mine didn't even flower before they rotted over last winter. There is someone a hundred yards from me with a lovely display at the moment. I must ask them where they got their bulbs from.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • mollismollis Posts: 150

I planted them in large pots, I planted 5 bulbs in I think possibly 7 ltr (not sure, the ones you buy shrubs in. I mixed a good quality compost with a bit of sharp sand. Hope this helps.

• Hi, of the 40 bulbs I planted early spring about 10 have flowered, or are now flowering, they are late bloomers.... the rest have nice gladi-type leaves but no flowers... 25% return,, it's been too wet and cold in the northwest of England this year... will try again with these next year. Look great infront of Liatris Spicata BTW!

• Just looked up Liatris Spicata - lovely!  I was thinking of putting the ones in the border against something very dark next year, I love the contrast between white flowers and dark blue/black/purple...