Forum home Tools and techniques

Using 12mm & 13m hosepipes with 1/4 inch fittings

This might be a silly question, but can ordinary 1/4 inch hosepipe fittings be used with 12mm & 13mm diameter hosepipes? I've noticed that some manufacturers make 12mm hosepipes while others make 13mm diameter hosepipes and wasn't sure if you had to buy the manufacturers own fittings.

Thanks!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,966

Dontcha just love living in Britain? I thought we were supposed to have gone metric 30 years ago.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,059

Usually, yes.  1/4 inch pipe fittings are for 1/2 inch hose which is 12.35mm.  A lot depends on the thickness of the wall of the hose itself.  Sometimes it is rather thin and standard imperial fittings don't grip it well.  I've replaced all of my various hose fittings with hozelock ones over the years and now everything is compatible, at last.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,184

Yes, I stick to one brand/maker so everything fits - anything else is just too much of a faff image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

Hi

Soften the hose in boiling water it will then stretch over a male fitting and also make a very good tight fit!

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,697

I'm obviously missing something but how can 1/4" fittings be for 1/2" hosepipe?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,059
    KT53 wrote (see)

I'm obviously missing something but how can 1/4" fittings be for 1/2" hosepipe?

The intricacies of British Standard Pipe thread I'm afraid:

http://www.bspt.co.uk/

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,697

Thanks for the link.  I think I'll just remain confused for now.

• Thanks for the replies everyone. I think that the 12mm or 13mm diameter might refer to the internal diameter of the hosepipe.