Hi, we have just become proud tennants of an allotment.  However would appreciate any advice going. 

I have bought some beetroot & brussell sprout plants from the garden centre and wonder if these are ok to plant out now?  I'd also appreciate being told of any special requirements etc.

So far I have potatoes, purple sprouting, leeks and french beans planted!  image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,844

Yes, plant out now.  It's a bit late for the brussels to be honest and you may not get sprouts but beetroot are fast growing and should give you a crop.  Plant the brussels deep, right up to where the the bottom leaves emerge from the stem and firm them in really well.  Plant the beetroot at the same depth as they came.  Both will appreciate a high-nitrate fertilizer with a liquid feed best right now as it can be taken in by the plant immediately.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,533
    Hi DiSteve yes you can plant them out if they're from the gc they wouldn't sell them if not,when did you plant the other's? The beetroot don't plant them too deep,just the roots.give them a potash feed such as a tomato feed.The sprouts plant them up to the first leaves and make that you firm them well in,push down with your hands, give them some chicken pellets manure or a high nitrogen feed.image I'm new to the symbols that you put at the end what is thisimage
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

It's eye-rolling, Logan, one of the many emoticons available there ^ image  as you will have seen, come to think of it image

Some dispute above there about whether beetroot need nitrogen or potassium.  I'd've said phosphate, myself, as they're roots.  To be honest, if it's fresh soil in reasonable heart I should think they'd be all right without fertiliser.

Bit late for baby french beans I'd say (normally planted out May/June), but you might get a crop if we have an Indian summer.  They'll certainly help the soil.

Your leeks will grow slowly all winter and give you a crop whenever you want it, right through till April if necessary.  Again, next year, get them in earlier. (sow in March, plant out when they're pencil-sized).

Purple sprouting, again, will stand the winter and crop in the 'hungry gap' in late spring.

Spuds normally go in around Easter and are ready about now, but they might still produce some baby ones before the first frost kills them off.

Other things you could start in the late summer/early autumn are spring greens/cabbage, onion sets of a variety that's bred for it, like Red Baron and broad beans (Aquadulce is the standard overwintering one).

All that lot should give you a crop between March and June.  Meanwhile youcan be planning your cropping for next and subsequent years.  Exciting!  Good luck and welcome to the forum image

P.S.:  You have got rid of the weeds, haven't you?  image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,533
    Steve 309 thanks for that also what are ^image image
  • DiSteveDiSteve Posts: 33

Thank you all for the advice, really appreciated.  I shall go over allotment this evening and get planting.  I'm told the soil is really good, all weeds have gone Steve 309 however we turn our back and they grow again!!  BobTheGardener The other things that I planted were plants that fellow allotment neighbours passed on to us, they weren't from seed, so hopefully all will be good.  The leeks appear to be doing well, oh we also planted cauliflower in the bed with the purple sprouting.

Do I need to cover the brussels?  Ive covered the cauli & purple sprouting. 

Thank you for the welcome. It is very exciting, however we are away for 3 weeks in September, but our neighbours have said they will keep a check on things for us. 

Everyone seems so friendly in this field, its very similar to owning a dog!  Walk down the road alone and nobody speaks.............with a dog everyone speaks!! 

Happy days

Logan I tend to use which ever emoticon suits my expression!

Me too!

All the brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, caulis, sprouts) need to be netted - against cabbage white butterflies in the summer and against pigeons all year round.  Otherwise they'll have the lot!  Sow some nasturtiums nearby in the early summer and the butterflies will go for those instead.  If they don't you have another crop.  Good luck with the caulis - you'll need it!  (They're reckoned to be hard to grow well, but nothing ventured...)

Other people have commented how friendly this forum is.  That's easy - anyone we don't like is dealt with image

Haha yes Steve309 I have heard caulis are hard to grow, but Colin my neighbour (who has 4 allotment plots) seems to think they are easy enough!!!!!  Don't think he realises what he's up against having me as a neighbour..............but like you say nothing ventured.........

My spuds were also given to me by Colin, are hungarian reds apparently blight free, again he seems to think we will have a crop come xmas.  Again..........we'll see. 

So......how will I know if I am being dealt with??  image

You'll know! image

Spuds at Christmas - yes, now's the time to get them in.  BUT any frost will kill the tops, so they'll need protection from cloches or a cold frame (collect all the old windows you can find) when winter comes.  Unless you don't get frost before Christmas, which is certainly the case in some parts of the country.

I bet Colin's been dong it for years.  And I'm sure he (like us) will be only too glad to offer advice.  If there's one thing that gardeners like more than gardening it's talking about gardening.