Forum home Tools and techniques

Compost bin

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,375

Only if you can persuade them to  jump on top of the heap.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,975

Or if the big one would let you stand on his back.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,248

I could follow them round the garden with a pot image

• Coffee grinds and tea bags are very useful in your compost bin, breaking down very easy, I also chuck in some shredded paper every time I add a new layer to my compost bin to help it get some air in there, which helps the natural breakdown of stuff, find some worms and slugs in your garden and throw them in also, ps these will breed like crazy in good compost that has air in it! They will also eat everything in there and help break it down faster, natural seaweed farmed from your local beach with permission will add loads of natural feed for the likes of tomatoes etc when you come to reusing your new compost image

Ps the juice released from your composter is natural feed and can be used on almost any plant to feed it through out the year!

One last warning!

Do not add anything animal to your compost bin, only veg trimmings, veg waste, garden waste etc, they say that eggs shells, meat bones, meat fat, and all dairy products are great for compost, but bear in mind they take months to decompose, and attract millions of flies and therefore maggots!

Stay away from this idea if you plan on using your garden as a place to relax!

Good luck and happy composting image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Be careful with tea bags - some of them are made of plastic and won't decompose.  Coffee grounds are great, and some cafes and even coffee shops will give them away.  Also avoid those supposedly biodegradable plastic bags: they take years to rot unless they're in a really good hot compost heap and fishing the bits out of the finished compost is a real pain.

I always keep a dish for tea bags, when they are dry I undress them and throw away the papers.

i use lose tea now, so just empty the pot, but have bags given to me.

i don't put slugs in, not whole anyway, only in halves.

all junk mail, envelopes with the plastic window torn off, in fact, nothing gets wasted, paper wise, I collect it, pick up junk mail from the supermarket, it takes a good chunk of my day, sorting stuff for compost, turning, swapping about. Happy as a pig in muck me!!!

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,248

The pesky leaking water butt has a new home and new purpose in life...replaced by a new one image

Very nice water butt, have you sawn the bottom off the old one Fishy.

• We reckon our composter eats about at least 1000 banana skins a year, and we never seem to see any evidence of them apart from the day they go in! Magic????????

That's a lot of bananas Steph!!