Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hardy Geranium - Propogation

This plant is well known, I do actually know its name but hesitate to mention it in case it might be illegal to propogate!  It is climbing all over its companions and looking absolutely wonderful.  Being sterile it just keeps on flowering.  I would like some more but obviously seeds are not going to develop.

I would also like to know if a sterile hybrid is any use to the bees, they swarm all over it, but I don't know if their search is in vain - does it actually have any nectar?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

Even if a plant has 'Plant Breeder's Rights', this means that you can't sell any plants you propagate, but can propagate as many as you like for your own use. Most hardy geraniums can be propagated by division. 

• My apologies for my mispelling of propagation - it didn't look right in the first place! Many thanks to figrat for the legal knowledge!

As it's quite legal, does anyone know when to divide Rozanne? And does it have any nectar for the bees?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

http://www.blackwaterplantsplus.ie/

(quote from above link)

"Geranium Rozanne has the most beautiful dark blue flowers with a white centre. Also known as Jolly Bee because this plant is such a rich source of nectar for bees."

• Brilliant!! Thanks very much!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

You can lift and divide them in the spring or in autumn - I prefer to do it in the autumn as the soil is warm and the new roots get away quicker - the soil can be cold and claggy in the spring. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I've had hardy Geraniums that have taken from bits of woody stem pulled off one pland and just stuck in the ground. They are extremely hard to kill!

• Julia56Julia56 Posts: 1

When you say spade slicing what exactly do you mean? Do you slice off a shoot and plant it or are you splitting a stem and pinning it under ground like layering?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

For the spreading varieties Julia. Dig up a clump, then put a spade in the middle of it and slice it in half. Then half again if it's a big clumpimage

Can be done without digging it all up if you prefer

It looks like murder but it's OKimage

In the sticks near Peterborough