Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Crocosmia, no flowers just lushus foliage.

Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

I think I have the answer, but want to check with you guys.

I planted some crocosmia bulbs about two years back and all I get is loads of lushus foliage. They are east facing so only get full sun for half the day. Is it this or that maybe the builbs we small and still maturing? I found one small flower today. 

Is there any feed I can give to help?

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

If they have grown into rather large plants, dividing them will encourage flowers next year.  But maybe if still rather small hopefully you will see some flowers soon.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

Don't know where you are T but maybe they are still to come?

mine only just starting

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

I live in Gateshead, North East of Engkand Lily Pilly.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

Hmmmm I am south west Scotland. Don't give up yet!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne

This clump is 80cm and 30cm deep, would you divid? If so when?

What plant feed, something with slightly higher phosphorus? Think Monty Don said that for his flowering planter and suggested a tomato feed. 

Thank you, Lily Pilly and Gertie Grass ????

• JulieH3JulieH3 Posts: 85
    Hi Tina_i_am, we live in Manchester and our crocosmia have only been in flower a couple of weeks. I know our spring bulbs are generally dying back when those at friend's in Wylam and Consett are just starting to flower. Our crocosmia faces all ways and seems happy with neglect - to the extent that a load sprung up when we had a patio removed, without us doing any planting!
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Hi Tina, yes I would divide them, but as Gertie says, wait awhile. Having said that I have dug up a clump this morning to fill a gap. I have some with masses of flowers but one plant with just one, so dug that one up and got 4 good size plants out of it. But I do have loads in case they don't take. 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If you feed them, you can get lots of lush foliage at the expense of the flowers, they survive on very little. You can split them in Autumn or Spring, but not too much feeding.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thank all.

Like I say, or should add, I planted the bulbs about two years ago (could be three) and NEVER had flowers. I've just given them a tomato feed today, first time ever.