Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee boxes

13»

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Yes please David! That's quite a hotel! Would love to see how it's used and how it ages. 

• Thanks for your encouraging comments, Tootles & Jo47: I'm not too sure about 'competition' between species - the 'hotel' is in a public area with open access to a range of activities in a wooded/ meadow pasture setting. There's a timber-built, water-powered flour mill about 5 metres away - with twice weekly milling/ bread making demos between Easter - October!! These activities attract families/ holidaymakers from the nearby village of Fuschl. [The trackways are ideal for summer rambling and cross-country skiing; once snow reaches the valley!] In such naturalised surroundings it's ideally situated as a 'showpiece' of green thinking and probably arouses a lot of interest (and maybe imitation?).

These photos show more detail of the various portions or 'rooms' within the hotel. The last image is of a very much simpler shelter using readily available materials. The descriptive text & illustration panel nearby gives the names and basic 'lifestyle pointers' on key species that are likely to be attracted to such structures.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,595

tee hee Dove ,

that always makes me titter.

Devon.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

What great pictures David. Thanks for sharing. Looks like someone has put a lot of hard work and effort in to it. 

Go for it Jo47!  Woukd love to know how you get on. Maybe a pic or two of your work in progress?!

I'm trying really hard to be less of a wimp when it comes to all things creepy crawly. That said, an earwig fell out of a dahlia flower that I'd cut for the vase yesterday, and I didnt half jump!  Much nicer to see them in their own hotel! Needless to say, no more dahlias indoors for me!

• we adapted a "rubbish" bird feeder into an insect box with almost immediate results

were so excited! (sad isn't it!)