Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee boxes

• What do you fill the holes with?

• You don't, the bees do! image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

The bees is my bird house have all gone now. Can't wait to open it up to see what they'd been up to but then I wonder if I should just leave it alone in case they return? First time with bees in the garden so sorry for daft question! Just wouldn't want to do anything to harm or upset them.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,494

A queen from that brood might return and start again, but not until next year, so if they've moved on you ought to be fine with having a look now - you can clear it out and leave it ready for the birds or the bees next year. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I've not seen any in my bird house for a while, I'll be having a look inside mine too. If it is interesting, I'll post some pics!

• It would be nice to see the inside of everybody's boxes to see what there is inside.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,694

tee hee, but this Queen doesn't want to see anyone's box. image

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,494

Hosta!!!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I was about to go find my special speculum...

The mega beehouse pictured is near Fuschl, in Salzkammergut, Austria at around 550 metres asl. *It was 'new' early last summer, so has now had a full year's occupation by various beasties! Look closely and you'll see that some of the drilled holes have been partly-closed up (mason bees, I think). A colony of Wood Ants have moved into the base layer with an annex to their nest. * I revisit the area at about the same time each summer, so I'll report on further developments in due course.