what to do with my fushias

lesley 59lesley 59 Posts: 8

hi, can anybody advise me please on what to do, I have 15 fushias in pots that were my fathers, I brought them to my home when he passed away and i'm happy to say that they have all flowered beautiful, but what I want to know is once they have finished flowering can I cut them back and put them into my garden? thanks

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,124

It really depends on whether they are hardy or not. If they're hardy varieties they can be planted out and will survive all but the harshest winters. If not, they need overwintering in frost free conditions and kept on the dry side till spring.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 415
    Whatever type of fushia they are they, with a little luck and good management will flower until the frosts. You don't cut them back until springtime.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,545

The secret of keeping them going is to dead head regularly, as said, they will bloom until Autumn. When you see new growth in Spring, cut right down all the old wood.

edited to add, weekly feed with tomato food.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• cover the crowns during the winter with some compost if in pots.If you are going to put them in the ground, plant them quite deeply and again cover the crowns with compost to protect against frost.

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

Sorry to hear about your father lesley 59, but it's nice to hear that you have continued to grow them so successfully image

You can also take cuttings as a precautionary measure because fuchsia tend to get more woody with age which can delay/inhibit flowering in successive years. I'm not saying do this for all 15 though unless you have the room! You could try taking a few cuttings now of your favourites.

As others above have mentioned, for my fuchsia in pots in Sheffield at the end of the growing season, I take off any remaining seed heads, move the pot into a cold greenhouse and leave them alone (with perhaps a very infrequent minimal watering) until spring. You can also take new cuttings at that time as well.

Regards Paul.

• lesley 59lesley 59 Posts: 8

thanks everyone.xx