Forum home Tools and techniques

Leaking wooden greenhouse

We have just painted and re-glazed our wooden greenhouse.  Unfortunately it is leaking in two places which are both inaccessible without taking out the glass again, is there way of sealing the leaks from the inside?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991

What about running a bead of silicone sealant round the area from the inside?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Blossom  ABlossom A Posts: 3

Thanks - I have just been reading up on this and it looks very promising - will give a go and report back.  If that doesn't do the job 100% I could then add the tape as suggested by Tetley. image

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,680

The surfaces will need to be dry for silicone sealant to adhere.  I would wait until you have a few dry days before trying.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,032
    KT53 wrote (see)

The surfaces will need to be dry for silicone sealant to adhere.  I would wait until you have a few dry days before trying.

I'll second that advice.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • SheP2SheP2 Posts: 1

May I use this thread to ask a similar question please? We have an old wooden greenhouse - breeze-block wall to about 4 ft, then wood in an inverted "V" shape - ie no vertical glass walls. We have just paid a lot of money for the wood to be replaced - it is a beautiful job apart from the fact that the areas round the (new) windows leak. We have automatic vents and the carpenters are saying that it's the fault of these, but I can't see that it can be. I think I have to accept that there may be some rain coming in when the vents are open and the rain is heavy but otherwise, am I being unreasonable to expect it to be waterproof? Don't get me wrong - the carpenters are very willing to find a solution but they aren't greenhouse experts.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

If you're using sealant or tape to keep water out it needs to be on the outside. Otherwise water will get into the joint and be trapped there and the wood will rot.  Reaching it will be the problem though image

• Used the sealant when greenhouse was dry - much better but not entirely done the job.  I will have a go from the outside - if I can get to it - failing that will try tape.

For the time being I have run a piece of string from the source of the leak to the water butt and the water is running nicely down the string to the water butt.  This is doing the job for the time being (proper botch job but it works!).

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Sounds like you've solved two problems in one there!

• With a problem like this it'd be advisable to reglaze the problem panes. If there's room within the frame use rubber beading inside, re-fit the glass and then seal with high quality exterior grade clear silicone.

• If you need any silicone just shout i've a shed full of all types , i'll glady send you a tube