Forum home Tools and techniques

Cutting down a medium sized sycamore and grinding out the stump

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I'm told wood turners love sycamore... You might be able to recycle some..

• dominomandominoman Posts: 150

I live in Croydon, SE London.  I've checked the council website and the only tree protection is in the conservation zones, plus special cases where an order has been applied for.  So I'm hoping I'm OK.

The tree surgeon didn't mention anything.

Thanks Welshonion.  I saw this page which lists which woods burn well.  A useful bookmark.

http://www.flamingfires.co.uk/which-wood-burns-best.htm

I am also cutting down a Laburnum and a Hawthorn, so it's useful to know that there is no point keeping the Laburnum for firewood.  It'll go on the bonfire.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,884

Laburnum is good for woodturners too - the heartwood is dark brown, which makes for a good colour contrast. Shame I didn't know any when my tree blew over in a storm a year or two back!

Not sure how I would even find a woodturner?  The guys who are coming to take the Sycamore down could also remove the Laburnum (for a small price).  I don't know what they do with it.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I think they price by the girth of the tree trunk... Hawthorn is not easy to cut away, all those spikey bits... Having the tree removed gave me my garden back....

I had this done yesterday.

Removed one large sycamore, one Laburnum and one Hawthorn.  Ground out the stumps and cleaned up.  Left all the wood neatly piled up for firewood (except the Laburnum as that doesnt burn well apparently).

All done for £365 (plus £30 tip).  I'm very happy.  Wish I'd had it done earlier.

Below is before and after:

BEFORE

AFTER cutting back heavily and removing the Sycamore plus 2 other small trees

I do miss the lush green look in the original, but I will get that back once I replant trees that I like. 

I really needed the space, and the Sycamore just cast a huge shade over the whole garden.  There is so much more light now.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Wow - what a difference! Lots of space and light for plants that you want now image

Tell me, Dominoman, when the trees came down, did they knock loads of others down as well?image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    What an improvement. A dead sycamore is a good sycamore! But there are some lovely trees in the same Acer family.

Haha Steve.  Yes it looks like it.  No, the rest was just me cutting back bushes.  There was a huge privet that had spread out in every direction, plus a few other plants that had gone awol over the years under the last owner.

I cut back heavily without removing anything (except Ivy).  The other "tree" in the first puicture is actually just an old post from a long abandoned fence.  When i cut away the ivy the post disintegrated on the spot.