Making cement planter

Hello,

one of the TV gardening programs this year contained a short clip on how to make your own garden planter / alpine trough using cement. I would like to try this out for myself but cannot remember where I have seen it. Can anyone remember this clip and tell me on which programme it was shown? 

Thanks, Susanne 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,852

I remember seeing something on The Beechgrove Garden recently.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184
  • paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

The Beechgrove Garden one was the one made from the polystyrene fish basket.

• Suse2015Suse2015 Posts: 2

Thank you to both of you! I will give it a go tomorrow!

• WinelightWinelight Posts: 1

I recall BGG back in the eighties when they made something like it made from a cement/peat mix. They used card board for inner and outer support, like a mould. It was a simple matter to round off the edges and pour milk around it to encourage lichen.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916

It's called hypertufa if you want to research it. Lots of recipes on the net.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Eve HirstEve Hirst Posts: 1

I watched that gardeners world episode and am desperate to make some of the alpine troughs.  Problem is there's a few ingredients and he doesnt say what the mix ratios are.  Anyone got any idea what they are?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916

I've made them as well. I think it was quite a strong mix I used - could have been 1 of cement to 4 of sharp sand.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller