Leaking connections on Hozelock watering system

I've set up a Hozelock watering system and it's operating well.  The minor problem I have is that a couple of the connections from the large pipe are dripping.  I've tried tightening them but it doesn't seem to make any difference. 

I'd welcome suggestions from anybody who has managed to solve the problem.

Posts

  • The brass push and twist connectors are quite good. Used them on the nursery but the rubber seal does go soft eventually. Think farm shops sell them.

  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,420

    This is a microbore system.  The main feed is 13mm with 4mm feeder pipe.  The connection is made by making a hole in the 13 mm and inserting a 4mm connector.  The connector pushes in and is then tightened.  If overtightened it just rotates.

  • I've found that the O-rings crack & need replacing every now & then, especially if they are left outside over winter.

  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,420

    We're clearly talking about different systems.  No brass push and twist connectors, no O-rings on the Hozelock systems.  Thanks for trying to help anyway.

  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 734

    I thought that I might be able to help as I have a drip feed watering system but it turns out that mine isn't a hozelock, I have had a look at the hozelock website and it looks as if the 4mm pipe joins to the larger 13mm supply tube with a connector which I guess screws into a hole which you have to drill yourself, if a couple of these are leaking I suspect that either the connector is faulty which I doubt, or that you have screwed it into the 13mm pipe and the threads haven’t cut in quite right. I think that you may be able to fix this by applying some sort of sealant around the threads of the connector and screwing it back into the 13mm pipe but this could turn out to be messy and may not solve the problem or you could purchase straight connectors for the 13mm pipe, cut the pipe at the position where it is leaking join it together again and drill another hole for the existing connector to the 4mm pipe in a slightly different position, you could even try using a slightly smaller drill bit so that the threads of the connector bites a bit deeper into the wall of the13mm pipe. I’m sorry if I have got the complete wrong end of the stick about this system but I hope my suggestion helps anyhow.

  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604

    Sounds a bit like the Gardenia system I had some yrs ago.

    The connections from the main feed (on the gardenia system) were 'bee-sting' connections that just screwed in where ever you want them and there was no 'seal' as such. It worked well and was a sight to behold when all the different attachments were going, but mine also dripped a bit from where the feeder hoses join the bigger pipe, but as I only used it for 30mins now and then it wasn't really a problem.

    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,420

    Thanks Barry & Pete.  The Hozelock and Gardena systems are very similar and the hole into the feeder hose is made by the 'bee-sting' spike.  The system does work very well and, as Pete says, the drip isn't a major problem.  It would just have been nice to stop it if there was a simple solution.

    Mine is now watering 4 hanging baskets, 2 troughs and over 20 tubs of various sizes.  I can go away on holiday reasonably confident that they will survive this weather.  The only 'problem' is that all the outlets run at the same rate of 4 litres/hour.  It would be nice to have lower output for the small pots.  A very minor complaint as the excess water runs off anyway.

  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604

    Not sure if it'll work with your system, but I used to use a big paperclip over the pipe to restrict the flow a bit, a clothes peg or similar may work.

    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,420

    That's a thought Pete.  It'll have to wait until we get back to give time to experiment. 

  •  It is 2016 holiday time now, and I now have the same problem as you in 2015. I may have solved it using the plumber's friend, namely PTFE tape, to seal the joint, wrapping it round the thread. Time will tell!

Sign In or Register to comment.