Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Just watched Monty Tonight

I Pay Great respects to Stuart in tonights Monty, with his Lawn, it's lovely but sorry, we, don't have the time, "NOR the Inclanation to b, sorry to do what he does" although i take my hat off to him.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

His lawn was amazing, I think I'd be scared to walk on it. But, I must admit, there are other things I would rather do than make a lawn perfect.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • My dad used to treat his lawn the same; he was also a crown green bowler so was always aiming for the same immaculate lawn. I was brought up on mowing the grass in two directions and heaven forbid a dandelion should self seed...I had to prise it out with a special tool. Although I'm not anywhere near particular I love my garden too...Thanks dad image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

We used to have a neighbour with a perfect lawn. My mum always said weeds wouldn't dare grow in his lawn.

Mine is full of wild flowers, aka weeds. I make him mow around the daisies when they look good.image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I thought that gentleman's lawn was fantastic. He must be a skilful and hardworking chap. I admire that kind of dedication and applaud it.  image

• Jazza77Jazza77 Posts: 8

have to say even though i admire the guys lawn, i think it is a little bit OTT, and can someone tell me what the difference between soil and compost is, im new to gardening

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

It was worthy of parks and gardens, but even though I'm a stay at home mum, I don't have the time to do that. And while he is busy on the lawn, who looks after the rest of his garden?

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Soil is the earth beneath your feet.  Compost is made from the worms and fungi decomposing dead plants but looks like good soil when ready.  Soil can be sandy, gritty, clay,loamy(the best), acid neutral or alkaline depending where you live.  I have visited Holt Farm twice and it is even better than the pictures on TV when you actually go there.  Monty collecting his produce was just like me today but my blackcurrants are ripe too so had to pick them.

• I loved all the plants in his garden I want mine to look like that  as I have a new border which has a few shrubs and roses in but needs plants in now  to stop all the weeds coming through also can i grow seeds now 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

My blackcurrants wont be ready for at least three weeks.