Looking for some tuff plants

Hi, i am lucky to have an area of garden that i can leave as a wild meadow. I cut this down with a topper after the flowers have seeded. I seem to of been overtaken by ox-eye daisy’s which look great, but with the grass & ox-eye anything else is struggling to get through.  
So rather than fighting what’s there is there some good & tuff wild flowers that will grow to about 60/80cm to add some red, yellow & blue to the mix. I was even thinking of some oil seed rape for some yellow.

The area is Norfolk & the soil is very sandy.

Thanks

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/COLLECTORS-INFO/DSCF4939_zpsyqvn0sbz.jpg

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,819

Oil seed rape is very nice if you can stand the smell. I now regard it as the scent of spring but it isn't too lovely when it gets wet.

Your meadow looks beautiful.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

Dog daisies to diminish in grass so they'll lose dominance. Yellow rattle reduces grass. Greater and lesser kapweed and musk mallow go well in grass as to may of the pea types and majoram.

Don't be tempted by the cornflower/poppy etc meadow. Those plants grow in cultivated soil, not grass

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,299

You could try the meadow buttercup (not to be confused with creeping buttercup which is a nuisance) for a lovely yellow pop of colour. This is easily controlled and gets quite tall. Mine are looking fine at the moment. The annual cornflower is a stunning blue and will contrast nicely with the oxeyes. I also grow knapweed and meadow cranesbill in my wildlife area.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,868
    Ladybirds's meadow buttercup, knapweed and meadow cranesbill are cracking suggestions. I reckon they'd thrive there without any problems. I'd avoid rapeseed.

You may want to create bare patches to seed with new species, or sow in trays and plant out the seedlings as little 'plugs', to give them a chance against the strong growing grass and daisies.
  • Thanks everyone, thats given me some good idea's. I will be getting the seed trays out early next year.