Cucumber plant shoots?

Hi 

I have a cucumber plant (Fi) growing and ive noticed some shoots at the top. Do these need to be removed??

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,872

Do you mean those long white threads growing ouf of it? They are tendrils, it needs to go in a pot twice that size, with a cane to curl round. it will need a 10 inch pot to grow to full potential or even bigger, and a strong cane to tie it to.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Agree with Lyn and if you have a GH it should be out there hardening off (covering with fleece at night) and then planting in it's final bucket.

• Hi Ian thenut

Cucumbers need to be supported by canes and string. They will send shoots out of the side which will attach to any string or cane it comes into contact with. This allows the plant to stabilise itself. This is important as when the fruit is growing the weight of the cucumber will start to pull the plant down. I tend to grow Cucumbers directly in the garden. In the past I have used a cane to support the plant initially then tied string from the cane and  attached it to the fence post. This gives the plant room to expand along the string giving more space to produce the cucumbers

You can grow cucumbers in pots and grow bags as long as you maintain nutrients to the plant.

Happy Growing