Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where have all my fishes gone?

I have a fish pond in the garden, and my three gold fish have been in there for a number of years. Last year I was delighted to see that they had produced babies, and I wondered if they would make it through the winter.  I was so surprised to count 15 of them in early Spring as well as my original three. I started feeding them again and they were fine, then I noticed lots and lots of tadpole, which was a great addition. The tadpoles are growing and growing, but now I haven't seen any fish big or small for two weeks.  My husband thinks there is too much oygenating weed in there and they are trapped, but I took loads out earlier and they were quite happy. Is having all these tadpoles detrimental to fish?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Primary suspect - heron

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• TizsasMumTizsasMum Posts: 7

No, and it would really be taking a chance landing. In my garden with the dog around and a large birch tree and fence next to the pond to contend with. Also the babies would be very difficult for it to catch they were only about 3/4" long.

• TizsasMumTizsasMum Posts: 7

I hope you're both wrong, I shall feel so guilty if they have been taken after all this time.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I've known herons cope with more complex obstacles than yours TzsasMum - and with small gardens with dogs and people - he'll be in your garden just as the day is dawning, and he'll take whatever he can get, no matter how small, even tiddlers - he's got a family to feed at this time of year.

He's still my best bet.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

If you have taddys there must be frogs, and frogs kill fish during their mating season, so thats possible.

id vote for a heron too though.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

we lost ours to an otter one night image

Devon.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I've seen frogs clinging onto fish in "the throws of passion" which can basically drown a fish (cover their gills, stop them moving, squeeze tighter...) You could have lost them that way. Baring in mind that I thought I had lost all of my fish for several weeks until the day I went and brought some more and... guess who was there to greet us on our return. Do you have anywhere they can hide if something (like a heron) had spooked them?

My parents pond is right up against the house with a large porch door that opens up onto it, surrounded by hedges it makes a really private area even though the neighbours house also sits very close to it so from the sky its a tight landing space. People and cats are always coming and going... heron still got in.

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

"frogs kill fish during their mating season"

I think this is unlikely to be the cause - you might be unlucky and lose 1 fish this way, but 3 together? And I can't imagine frogs grabbing hold of the tiny fish.

I wouldn't rule out a heron - they can visit very early in the morning and go unnoticed.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

I've got hundreds of goldfish in my pond, all from 6 that my grandchildren had in a small tank. Earlier they all came to the surface and were swimming around in large groups but they have now disappeared and I haven't seen  one for over a week. the heron does visit but there are so many that if a few get taken it's not a problem. I suspect yours, Tizams Mum, like mine are sulking in the bottom of the pond.

• Suz3Suz3 Posts: 105

Tizsas Mum - It was a matter of irony when I read your post - we have recently installed a newer and bigger pond and all five of our fish had been happy as the proverbial Larry since the move and have been more active than we have seen in a long time. The day of your post - we too thought they had all disappeared image

We were concerned a Heron or other bird had got them - but thought it unlikely that would all disappear on the same day. We have been monitoring daily - and the good news is we had a sighting yesterday!! image

we think it could be that they have either gone back into semi-hibernation (we have got two drain pipes for them to hide in) or that they have been spooked by the barley straw parcels that have been floating around.

In case it is the latter - we have tonight weighted them down to stop them moving with the waterfall 'tide' and hope we see more of our little pals in the next day or so.

Hope yours pop up and say hello to you soon - I'm sure they will! x