Where have all my fishes gone?

I have a fish pond in the garden, and my three gold fish have been in there for a number of years. Last year I was delighted to see that they had produced babies, and I wondered if they would make it through the winter.  I was so surprised to count 15 of them in early Spring as well as my original three. I started feeding them again and they were fine, then I noticed lots and lots of tadpole, which was a great addition. The tadpoles are growing and growing, but now I haven't seen any fish big or small for two weeks.  My husband thinks there is too much oygenating weed in there and they are trapped, but I took loads out earlier and they were quite happy. Is having all these tadpoles detrimental to fish?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,271

Have you ever seen a heron just mooching along overhead, seemingly minding its own business?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,301

Primary suspect - heron

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TizsasMumTizsasMum Posts: 7

No, and it would really be taking a chance landing. In my garden with the dog around and a large birch tree and fence next to the pond to contend with. Also the babies would be very difficult for it to catch they were only about 3/4" long.

• TizsasMumTizsasMum Posts: 7

I hope you're both wrong, I shall feel so guilty if they have been taken after all this time.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,301

I've known herons cope with more complex obstacles than yours TzsasMum - and with small gardens with dogs and people - he'll be in your garden just as the day is dawning, and he'll take whatever he can get, no matter how small, even tiddlers - he's got a family to feed at this time of year.

He's still my best bet.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• a1154a1154 Posts: 746

If you have taddys there must be frogs, and frogs kill fish during their mating season, so thats possible.

id vote for a heron too though.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,961

we lost ours to an otter one night image

Devon.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I've seen frogs clinging onto fish in "the throws of passion" which can basically drown a fish (cover their gills, stop them moving, squeeze tighter...) You could have lost them that way. Baring in mind that I thought I had lost all of my fish for several weeks until the day I went and brought some more and... guess who was there to greet us on our return. Do you have anywhere they can hide if something (like a heron) had spooked them?

My parents pond is right up against the house with a large porch door that opens up onto it, surrounded by hedges it makes a really private area even though the neighbours house also sits very close to it so from the sky its a tight landing space. People and cats are always coming and going... heron still got in.

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

"frogs kill fish during their mating season"

I think this is unlikely to be the cause - you might be unlucky and lose 1 fish this way, but 3 together? And I can't imagine frogs grabbing hold of the tiny fish.

I wouldn't rule out a heron - they can visit very early in the morning and go unnoticed.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

I've got hundreds of goldfish in my pond, all from 6 that my grandchildren had in a small tank. Earlier they all came to the surface and were swimming around in large groups but they have now disappeared and I haven't seen  one for over a week. the heron does visit but there are so many that if a few get taken it's not a problem. I suspect yours, Tizams Mum, like mine are sulking in the bottom of the pond.