Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing Raspberries - newbie

Hi,

I've just constructed a single fence system for growing summer fruiting raspberries. I bought three plants, each with three canes pruned to 25cm and planted them along the length of the fence.

Now, I've read up on how to prune them on the RHS website but I'm a bit confused as to what stage the plants are at right now. Will additional canes grow this season? And when that happens, should I cut the existing three canes down to ground level? Or should I just leave the plant alone for the first year?

Any help greatly appreciated image

Romana

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,786

Your fruit will come from the existing canes.. Plus the plant will put up new canes this year, for next years fruit.  If you tie in all of the existing canes to one side of your support wire, and this years growth to the other.. it will make pruning much easier, just cut down everything on the side that fruited the year before.  You just need to remember which is which (though it's pretty easy once you get looking at them).   

Utah, USA.
  • T CT C Posts: 30

Just a quick question in addition to Romana's.

I have mine growing in a large pot, so my guess is come the end of the season I won't be able to tell which cain is which. Is there any common way to mark these. Tape/paint/string. I don't want to limit the growth and being the first year I have grown rasberries (From an established plant) I don't really know what method to take.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,387

TC, do you know what variety they are?

Autumn fruiting varieties are pruned differently to summer fruiters.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • T CT C Posts: 30

No idea, Ive been raiding the shed for the ticket but can't find one :/

Is there much difference int he way they are pruned? any way I can Identify without a ticket?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,126

Pruning is different.  Autumn types - all canes are cut down to the ground in early spring and the fruit appears on the new canes which grow the same season.  Summer types fruit only on the canes which grew last year and you prune only those canes down to the ground which have fruited, immediately they finish fruiting.

For your raspberries TC, if you get fruit on the new canes (which should be starting to grow now) in autumn, they are an autumn type.  If not, they are a summer type and you will get fruit next summer.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,786

Do you get fruit in June or August?  The canes look different, so you should be able to judge which are older, if you do have summer fruiting.

Utah, USA.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

For summer fruiting, old canes have the remains of harvested raspberris on them, and the canes are darker, the difference is ear. 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    With autunm canes you can have two crops they fruit in the autunm leave the canes and they will fruit again on the same canes then cut them down. Do the same with the new canes.