Forum home Talkback

eucalyptus tree

gerrykgerryk Posts: 24

can anyone  tell me if eucalyptus likes moist - wet or sometimes very wet soil which i have. would it be wise to plant one here."cheers folks"

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,989

Think Australia, gerryk.image Not much wet soil there. But there are dozens of European trees which thrive in wet soil and grow just as tall and sometimes just as quickly, if that is what you want.

Personally, I can't stand eucalyptus.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,268

I agree - eucalyptus won't do well (if at all) in wet soil.  Have a look at the Alder (alnus glutinosa)  very happy with wet feet image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,900

There are hundreds of eucalypts, some grow in swampy soil. Unfortunately they often dont like frosty conditions. So that limits what can be grown here. The usual one grown here is E. Gunnii, which is supposed to be the hardiest, but a lot around here died in the really bad winter a few years ago. I have a E perriniana that I grew from seed (Chiltern seeds) that is on free draining soil that survived and thrives.

With plenty of space and boggy soil ,I would plant willow.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Most Eucalypts are not hardy in Britain. The few that are come from high on mountains on well drained slopes. If you like a grey leaf effect consider one of the smaller willows such as Salix daphnoides[Violet willow]. Other not too big trees tolerant of wet include Betula nigra and Nyssa sylvatica.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Salix rosemarifolius give a good silver effect as well

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,900

If you want to experiment, Chiltern has Eucalyptus rodwayi seeds , also known as swamp peppermint. If you raise them, try planting one out while it is small, and give another protection for a couple of years.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Karen 10Karen 10 Posts: 6

We planted a Eucalyptus niphophila last year.  It survived through the winter in Scotland so did well with frost and wind.  It is an area of the garden with well draining soil so not sure how it would be in wet soil.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I have grown eucalyptus successfully in Scotland   Some have been rooted from flower arrangements sent, some from small plants  In our present garden I have one growing happily in a pretty damp area that has a lot of bark down. I just always nip the top out. If it looks sick, cut down to ground level. More likely than not it will shoot

we used to live in Australia and I love them If you have a cold crush one leaf in a cup of boiling water and steam! Really helps breathing

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • gerrykgerryk Posts: 24

thanks for all your comments folks