Forum home Fruit & veg

Cherry Tree

Good morning please could someone helpme as to when i should spray my Cherry trees as to the problemm i have with Blackfly, idont want to harm the blossom or new leaves by spraying at the wrong time, last year the crop was decimated. Thanks regards Chris

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,130

Do they have blackfly on at the moment Chris?  Seems a bit early for them.  If so try spraying with soapy water - a few drops of an 'eco' type washing-up liquid in a sprayer will do.  If that doesn't shift them, see the RHS advice on which organic insecticides is safe for use on edible fruit trees:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=181

"Pesticides based on natural compounds and/or with a physical mode of action:

These pesticides are contact in action and have short persistence, so thorough spray coverage, especially to the underside of leaves, is necessary. They can be used on ornamentals and edibles up to one day before harvest. Whilst good control can usually be gained of aphids feeding exposed on stems and leaves those protected by curled leaves are unlikely to be controlled. Products include: Pyrethrum (e.g. Py Garden Insect Killer, Bug Clear Gun for Fruit & Veg, Py Bug Killer Spray, Growing success Frit & veg Bug Killer, Growing Success Shrub & Flower Bug Killer and Pyrol Bug & Larvae Killer); Fatty acids (e.g. Bayer Organic Bug Free, Bayer Natria Bug Control, Doff Greenfly and Blackfly Killer, Doff Universal Bug Killer); Plant/fish oils (e.g. Vitax Organic Pest and Disease Control, Bug Clear for Fruit & Veg), Plant oil winter wash can be used to treat overwintering eggs on dormant deciduous fruit trees and bushes (e.g. Growing Success Winter Tree Wash or Vitax Winter Tree Wash); blend of surfactants and nutrients (e.g. SB Plant Invigorator)."

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

You also don't want to risk harming pollinators such as bees. Soapy water should be safe. I wonder if ants are the real problem? I had aphids and ants on my currants. I sprayed the bushes with soapy water, then put a ring of pyrethrin around the base to kill any ants approaching the bushes. It seems to have worked.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,791

Hang up a bird feeder, or two if there are lots of trees. Once the bluetits find the food the problem will vanish - they will pick over the trees while waiting their turn on the feeder. I had an annual problem with rose chafer beetles or their grubs eating all the flower buds on my large cherry tree. Once I began feeding the birds I started to get spring blossom again  -win win!