Plant pots

Hi everyone ,

having  both the old clay pots and the modern plastic plant pots id be interested in your views on which is preferred and   why,  for what uses , etc 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,134

Plastic blow over more often than clay. Clay dry out faster than plastic. clay look nicer than plastic. Plastic are cheaper. A draw.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,134

Or, if you're worried that someone might be tempted to nick them, put the nice clay ones inside the grotty plastic onesimageimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,151

i put plastic pots in terracotta, that way I can have several different displays of different plants throughout the year by changing the plastic pots. 

If I decide to put some nice pots in the front garden (front door only 3ft from pavement) I have a couple of pots with drawing pins stuck to the underside of the rimimage, odd how no one seems to want the plants in the plastic pots..

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

Depends on what I'm putting in them. I have trees in plastic pots and palms in clay ones 

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

For small pots, plastic, for big pots, clay. Small clay pots dry out too fast. Large plastic pots are ugly and break all too easily. My chillis go into 12" clay pots in late May. Why spoil your garden with plastic pots? You can always line the clay pot with a plastic bag,  with the bottom ripped open for drainage. You can also buy fake clay pots made from plastic, or composite. 

You may find clay pots at your local tip, for a few pennies.