Forum home Talkback

wool pellets

sybillesybille Posts: 76

I just have been told that I could use wool pellets to keep slugs and snails away from my plants. (sluggone.com)

Has anybody tried them? If so, was it successful?

I was wondering - if they work - could I use just sheeps fleece wool?

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,138
    I used them a couple of years ago and they were quite successful but the cost is rather high. Not sure if fleece wool would work but its worth a try. Apparently the slugs don't like the scratchiness of the wool.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

You know I read that as wood pallets and wondered how they worked to stop slugs. Need new reading glasses. image

• sybillesybille Posts: 76

Thank you Ceres, I thought they are quite expensive, that made me think of natural sheep fleece. It is much cheaper, found some on Ebay. I think I give it a go...

The scratchiness should be the same.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,138
    Let us know if it works.

No Gemma, my slugs and snails are not that big!!  image

I will let you know if it's working.

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Going to try horse hair as a slug repellent, as they are moulting like mad now, and I have a free supplyimage   Will let you know if that works

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,695

I tried it last year. Very expensive and didn't go far. The dog thought it was wonderful and broke the "magic circle" several times so all in all a bit of a no no for me.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I promised to let you know how I got on...

I tried "real" sheep's wool, but - I bet the slugs were laughing about the stupid human,while they were crawling over the wool.image

They munched a newly planted clematis right to the ground, so I'm back to the snail and slug pelletsimage, not very nice, but the only thing to keep my plants.

It's not worth to pay (more) money for wool/wool pellets