Forum home Talkback

calcified organic seaweed

I am about to apply calcified seaweed to my flower and shrub borders. Are there any plants that would not enjoy this .

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,233

Anything that like acid conditions such as ericas, blue poppies, azaleas, rhodos, hamamelis.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nannyskinannyski Posts: 10

Thanks i grew the Meconopsis Grandis from a packet of Thompson and Morgan seed last year and was lucky enough to enjoy a most wonderful display of blue poppies ,I wasn't sure if they had survived winter as I know once they flower they can die . Yesterday I noted they are alive and so I will definitely award them some seaweed crystals.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,233

No, the list I gave are acid lovers. Calcified seaweed is alkaline. Meconopsis will not like this. A peat dressing would be preferable.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

Peat!  image you'll have Monty doing cartwheels down his path if you dare mention Peat!

HE! would use a barrow load or two of riddled leaf mould  to nourish them!

Ps  How I wish I could grow the deep blue Himalayan poppies, it is too warm where I live and they turn out a wishy washy lilac, so I have given up trying to grow them!