Forum home Fruit & veg

sowing artichoke seed

Hi all, this should be simple, I bought some green globe artichoke seed on line but they came with no instructions. I've looked on the net but cannot find out how deep to sow the seed. Anyone help? Thanks in advance.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

You start them off inside now in a sunny window and then acclimatise them to the outside. You can start them off outside, but they take longer to germinate and grow.

• Hi blairs, yes to that, but how deep do I sow them?

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Sorry, I forgot to add what to do! I tend to use a seeding tray, 4inches deep and I pop the seed into a hole I poke with a pencil, so near the surface but covered. I tend to cover the top with grit.

• Thanks blairs, I've sowed two seeds in soft drink bottles, with the bottoms cut off, about 1 inch deep and put them over the fridge radiator to warm them up, now it's wait and see!

• I sowed them 6mm deep in 140 cell flats and they all germinated fine. That's the depth I sow nearly every seed because I can't be bothered with "x mm for this, y mm for that".  The supplier states 2-3cm in pots (best) or 5-6cm direct.