A lovely place to work (the area)

The greatest thing about where I work is the surrounding area.  image

Every dinner hour I take make coat and have a wonder about and because of the area that the building is situated in the wildlife is so diverse. There are woodland, open fields, housing estates and business parks. Just walking around I see Buzzards, Kestrels, Crows, Magpies, Jays, Wood Pigeons, Collared Doves, Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, Robins, Various species of tits and finches to name a few birds. We also have our share or mammals; hedgehogs & squirrels. I'm assuming there are Rats/mice/voles that the buzzards and kestrels prey on. The only downside is there is a brook that runs parallel with the supermarket and every summer Himalayan Balsam grows vigorously along there.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,545

It sounds great. Even Himalayan Balsam can be fun if you introduce a child to the ripe seedpods for the first time. And at least it's easy to pull up, and quite rewarding when you have "done your bit"image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Bubba RayBubba Ray Posts: 83

Believe me Himalayan Balsam is not fun, especially the clean up. It's probably up there with Giant Hogweed. And did you know it cost over £1.7bn a year clearing up invasive plant species and some of that is government funded so we are paying for the clean up. 

https://www.gov.uk/japanese-knotweed-giant-hogweed-and-other-invasive-plants

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,187

How lucky that you have such a lovely place to walk during your lunch hour.  image

• Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) is a relative of the busy Lizzie, but reaches well over head height, and is a major weed problem, especially on riverbanks and waste land, but can also invade gardens. It grows rapidly and spreads quickly, smothering other vegetation as it goes.

One up side of Japanese knotweed is its edible cut and cook the stems tastes a bit like rhubarb, that said it is a very invasive weed it is illegal to remove it without a licence, it will grow through concrete.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,545

There is Himalayan Balsam near here on the banks of the river Derwent near Froggatt. They organise volunteers to clear it out every summer but it keeps coming back for more.  It's relatively easy to pull a bit up. Easier than ragwort, for example. Not so easy to persuade it to die.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

Where I used to work had lots and lots of manicured Beech hedging and formal planted avenues of trees. Was a pleasure to walk around it. What I did like was the giant Hogweed which grew near the river - it contrasted with everything else. An other invasive but good looking plant.