I have a young child and was going to try some larkspur this year but read they are toxic. I will not be growing foxglove this year and have pulled out all the foxglove seedlings in my garden. Should I grow something else?
Larkspur or Delphinium is a beautiful flowering plant. All plants in the Ranunculaceae family contain diterpene alkaloids. These alkaloids have a neuromuscular blocking effect by inhibiting acetylcholine (neurotransmitter in nervous systems) causing weakness, drooling, abnormal heart rhythms, constipation, abdominal pain, paralysis, tremors and seizures when ingested. When large toxic ingestions, heart and lung failure can be seen, along with death.
I hope this helps with you question but please don't be put off growing it unless you have good reason.
Sorry missed the bit about young child.
But should be ok as would foxglove unless they are likely to eat it, touching and smelling the flowers should do no harm but as with all plants care and caution should be used even as adults.
yeah i mean i actually have a delphinium magic fountain and the reports i have read are mixed and poisonings are rare as they plants don’t taste nice its just i would hate to think i have grown something toxic in the garden that caused him harm. I was not sure if the annuals were particularly toxic compared to the perenial variety. Of course we would always be watching him. I know foxgloves would not require much to be eaten to be lethal especially for a child hence why i got rid. Thanks for the reply.
May be leave these out for a few years until he understands more and you can explain why.