Forum home The potting shed

advice please

I can't remember what it's called , but it's a ginger plant .at moment it is in a pot from last year.it's just a tuber , like a very hard iris .I bought it back end of summer  no instructions as a garden centre was selling them off  at 50 p each. Just in a bag of pick and mix

But it didn't do anything last year maybe too late in season, I don't know ? I covered it in compost , kept it slightly moist  but still same as when it was planted.

Any advice please ?

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,169

Has the pot been outside? If it is a ginger (Hedychium) it is likely be tender and liable to frost damage. Even the so-called hardy gingers need a sheltered, sunny spot and a good winter mulch to survive over winter and won't take really low tempertures that freeze their rhizomes.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Hedychium is root hardy, the growth will die back after a few frosts.

Either plant in a damp but sunny spot or place in a pot, dampen soil, cover with cling film and place in a warm place. When you see shoots you can then place next to a window.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

Thanks , the tuber has been in the greenhouse from day one , not had any shoots .but I will try putting cling film over.I had treated it like iris tuber, dahlia etc but it seams a much harder tuber very tough.. 

• I was given ten seeds of this last year and was told to plant immediately as it needs to be sown fresh I now have one tiny plant about an inch tall.

I'm told by next autumn if it survives it will have formed  a tuber and then next year 2016 I might get my first flower image

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.