Forum home Tools and techniques

Free Seeds

Hi Folk. Cleared out one of my sheds today, including my seed tin. I have sorted out seeds that I will not use this year so they are available post free to anyone who drops me a message. All are in date, or just.

Carrot 'Sugarsnax' F1    Carrot 'Purple Dragon'    Carrot 'Amsterdam Forcing'    Carrot 'Vita Longa'    Onion 'Lilia'    Tomato 'Green Zebra'    Tomato 'Urbicany' (tall bush)    Tomato 'Sunset Red Horizon'    Bulgarian Giant Leek    'Mammoth' Lettuce leaf Basil    Lettuce 'Tom Thumb'    Nicotiana 'Sensation Mixed'

• Hi Mel image

Thats quite a stash! I wouldnt mind the nicotiana and the sugarsnax carrot if thats ok please image

I know you are well stocked for seeds, but please let me know if there is anything i can send in return image
  • Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Hi Bekkie.  On their way. You are quite right, I am well set up with seeds for this year - gone over the top once more and run out of space. I am growing 5 different chillis this year, 2 of them up to 2 million SU so I hope the summer is hot.

• GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 304

Thanks Mel, that's a generous offer. I'd be happy to have all the tomato seeds, they sound interesting varieties.

If you want to split them between different people, I'd like the Urbicany/Urbikany, they look like a good option for outdoors.

• Thanks Mel image

I love baby carrots, just swilled under the hose and munched while inspecting the garden image
  • this is my first ever garden and i am preparing the ground- i would love some seeds suitable for beginners please!

• Hi lucyloo image

Is it veggies you are after?theres also a seed swap thread image

Hi lucyloo2. PM me your address and I will get some seeds off to you. Lettuce, carrots and spring onions.   Mel

• GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 304

Thanks Mel, tomato seeds arrived today, much appreciated.

Thank you for your generosity and for taking the trouble to offer and post them.

I usually grow extra and pass them on locally to friends, plant swaps and Freecycle. Other people will benefit and it keeps the chain going.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Thanks for the seeds Mel, got them today image

Hi Folk. Glad that you received the seeds.  Weathers starting to change so Good Gardening.

I saw an article on You Tube on how to make your own seed tapes. Seeemple. All you need is ordinary toilet roll, plain flour, water, scissors and an artists pointed paint brush. A child's brush would be OK.

Take a length of toilet roll (I used 3 foot pieces for ease of handling but you can decide that for yourself) then cut it in half down its length to make two strips. Mix some flour with water to make a paste which will sit on the paintbrush without dripping.

Lay out a paper strip then using the brush, blob on the paste at whatever spaces are required. Sprinkle some seed into the palm of your hand or a small plate then using the tip of the paintbrush you will be able to pick up the seeds one by one to then dot them onto the paste blobs to which they immediately adhere. (I used two seeds per blob to allow for irregular germination.

Fold the paper over to make a narrow strip and it sticks together, although I did add more blobs of paste to make sure - but I am like that. Allow to dry overnight then form into rolls and place in an airtight tin. If you are not going to use them immediately, place the rolls in a sealable plastic bag and keep in the 'fridge.

I had fun doing this last night and recon it would be great to keep the kids occupied for a while.